I will stick to walking.

lmorris kesatotaSHAW.CA
Wed Feb 13 21:46:27 PST 2002

I have been reading a book called "Men and Gods in Mongolia" by Henning
Haslund, and he writes about a pilgrimage he witnesses, and I quote.
        "This laborious form of progress involves that the whole of the route
covered shall have been in contact with the suppliant's body. The
pilgrim casts himself at full length on the ground, and mutters his
prayers with his forehead pressed against the ground.  After this he
makes a mark in the ground with his outstretched hands, rises and walks
forward to the mark whereupon he casts himself down again once more and
lays his forehead to the earth while he prays.  This penance is repeated
without a break until the distance is reached"

        Are we missing something by walking, I would say that these people
really take their pilgrimage seriously. I think I will just walk with my
pack on my back. I found it interesting to read about others and their
way of doing a pilgrimage.

leonard