Fright

Andrea Innes-Michailov andreaaCORP.IDT.NET
Tue Feb 12 05:30:45 PST 2002

Thank you Felipe, what you wrote was beautifully inspiring and it ever so
gently opened the gates of courage for me.

The commentary on American Culture is one that I have similiar sentiments
with.  I think the American culture has lost most of its goodness though it
appears that no one notices that which is just one of the many problems with
it.  I was on the Isle of Skye in Scotland with my husband (a Bulgarian).
We had stopped on the side of a mountain road to adjust something.  It was
dark and my husband had put on the flashers.  Up the road I saw another car
coming.  As he approached us the other car put on his flashers.  I panicked
and thought he would stop possibly to rob us or attack us.  I told my
husband to hurry and start moving before the other car got too close. I was
terrified.  My husband noticed that the other car had German plates and then
explained that in Europe if you see a car stopped with flashers on you have
to put your flashers on too to let the cars behind you know that there is a
stopped or slowed car coming up.  I laughed at my "american" response to
what I see now as "road courtesy" and also pragmatic behavior.  It struck me
as sad that my first thought was that I was going to be attacked.  But I
think it has come to that.  In America that is survival, especially for
women.  It is hard to imagine a place like El Camino where people are
supportive of each other.  I look at my culture where children are killing
their teachers and peers, health insurance is unavailable to too many, the
cost of housing is out of reach for young families, where people are too
busy to see that their rights are being usurped by corporations, education
is unaffordable, not to mention that our food is poisoned for profit...where
is the American dream in all that?  Looks like it moved to Spain.
Andrea