Fright

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Mon Feb 11 14:27:50 PST 2002

From: "Andrea Innes-Michailov" <andreaaCORP.IDT.NET>

> I can see that El Camino will be chalk full of interesting people and
ideas.
> I am scared to death but excited too!
> Andrea

Andrea:  From one hyphened name (Aue-Sanchez) to another please let me
assure you that you have no reason to feel the least trepidation in regard
to spending time on the Camino.  My view of Spain is that they have a
society that functions, i.e., works.  You will find the people on and off
the Camino to be supportive not predatory.  In addition, the number of towns
and facilities along the C. Frances  is sufficient to aid you in almost any
contingency.  I really think that you will be very much at home while having
a distinctly unique and transforming experience.  The next paragraph might
be of interest to you.

The following is an excerpt from a Camino diary by Carl Sesto of New York.
He is a photographer but has a great ability to describe in interesting
detail
his "adventures" along the Way of ST. James.  I selected the following as it
reflects my comments on American culture in at least one respect. "The
Spanish know how to party. At this hour the paseo is in full swing, with
families and young adults mingling with boisterous teens in the streets.
With hundreds of people out to enjoy themselves the noise is deafening.
Impromptu bands erupt every few minutes adding to the mayhem yet no one
seems to become violent and no one is threatened. My impression is that this
could never happen in America. There appears to be a social code of conduct
here by which everyone conducts themselves, drunk or sober, and which
disallows threatening others or destroying property. In my experience, when
Americans congregate and drink, they inevitably become rowdy, violent, and
destructive."

I might append another thought or two.  While there last year I was
surprised and pleased to see several Spanish men with their young sons.  And
I made the acquaintance of a wonderful woman from Northern Spain who was
hiking with her daughter.  Also, may women walked alone.  I even met two who
were on their way back to Europe proper after having traversed the route in
the normal direction.  So I advise you to forego fear, embrace enthusiasm,
feel secure, and you will live in such a way as to etch the Camino time into
the mnemonic tablets of your mind and heart. Felipe