more books to read

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Sat Feb 9 10:41:09 PST 2002

Dear friends,

Certainly Maria and my hope in writing My Father, My Daughter, Pilgrims on
the Road to Santiago was to offer something of spiritual value.  As a
middle-aged, sometimes skeptical Episcopal priest and a recent college
graduate finding her way back to regular Christian practice, our voices are
pretty down-to-earth, I think, and the Camino spirituality that emerges for
us textured with the ordinariness of walking, repetition, conversation, and
quiet.  Yes, I think the book may belong in this conversation about
spirituality.

love,
donalld

Since other people here are recommending books they have found and we are
hearing critical voice, rather than putting my own recommendation of the
book too much forward, may I offer these reader reviews from Amazon.com
(including two from regulars on this list):

My Father, My Daughter : Pilgrims on the Road to Santiago
by Donald Schell, Maria Schell
List Price: $12.95
Our Price: $12.95
Availability: Usually ships within 4 to 5 weeks
Paperback - (February 2001)

 Walking on different levels to Santiago, December 9, 2001
Reviewer: pieter pannevis from nijkerk, the netherlands
This certainly one-read book about a pilgrimage to Santiago, reveals not
only part of the daily pleasures and horrors to a pilgrim (very recognisable
for pilgrims) and gives an occasional sight at the history of the Camino for
more than 1300 years; it also gives a good account of the interchange
between a blister stricken father and a daugher scared for a shortage of
beds to sleep at night. This all set in an entertaining "dialog of chapters"
written by Dad and Daughter and the questions they carry with them to
Santiago.

 A Journey on Many Levels, November 21, 2001
Reviewer: Mary Wagner from California
My Father, My Daughter is a delightful read. I happily went through it in a
single sitting. The authors strike a lovely balance between glimpses of what
happens on the walk itself, their companions and surroundings--what happens
between them as this adult daughter and father grow in their knowledge and
love of each other--and what happens within them as they live and reflect on
their hopes for this walking experience. It is a pilgrim journey on several
levels and I am grateful they have shared it with us. Thanks to the Schells!

 A realistic view of the Camino pilgimage, November 4, 2001
Reviewer: A reader from Montana - United States
The idea of a book about the camino by a father and daughter was intriguing.
I actually ordered the book directly from them and received it promptly and
personally autographed.

Bravo, brava, July 23, 2001
Reviewer: Kathy Gower (see more about me) from San Francisco, CA USA
I really liked this book--its honest, short and to the point...a Camino book
where recognizing the outer landmarks is secondary to the witnessing of a
profound inner journey, told by both father and daughter in a believable,
poignant conversation.  Not a boots and socks book, but a profound metaphor
for both a spiritual and a familial pilgrimage together.

A Transformative Trek, July 7, 2001
Reviewer: A reader from Colfax, CA United States
    I found this book a fascinating expoloration of a father-daughter
relationship that matured and transformed while the two were walking an
arduous trek together. The writing is clear and lovely. The book is never
pious or sentimental;it feels very honest, acknowledging rifts,
difficulties, and a unifying commitment to completing this journey together.
   The form works very well; father and daughter each wrote separate small
chapters that sit side by side. The contrasting voices complement each
other, creating a layered texture that is part of the interest of the book.
Additionally, the journey itself is very interesting-- through the Spanish
landscape and with fascinating encounters in the pilgrim refugios along the
way. I felt like a vicarious traveller as I read, and the book made me want
to go on a long trek myself with my parents or husband or one of my
children-- such a powerful and transformative experience!

[My Father, My Daughter is also reviewed in the December 2001 Bulletin of
the Confraternity of St. James.]