Sv: Re: Shirley Maclaine's book-And a question

fkjaer fkjaeraPOST7.TELE.DK
Fri Feb 8 12:18:56 PST 2002

Mac Quart wrote:

>>Can anyone recommend a good book about the camino, written
by someone who is just a regular person (not rich or famous) and describes the
trials and triumphs he or she experienced on the Camino without any new age
spirituality?<<

Hi Mac,

Some people say that it was reading Shirley Maclaines book that made them walk the camino.
For my part, I can only say that I am glad that her book wasn't the first I read about the camino. Had that been the case I never would have had the privilege of walking 'the Milky Way'.

Among my favourites in the English language are:

Frey, Nancy Louise: Pilgrim Stories. On and Off the Road to Santiago. Journeys Along an
Ancient Way in Modern Spain.
University of California Press,
© 1998 by The Regents of the University of California.
ISBN 0-520-25754-9.

Hitt, Jack: Off the Road, A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain.
© Jack Hitt 1994, Aurum Press,
Bodmin 1998.
ISBN 1 85410 306 7
[ Both learned and funny. He is 'the devils advocate'! ]

Hoinacki, Lee: El camino. Walking to Santiago de Compostela.
© 1996 The Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, Pennsylvania.
Second printing,USA 1997.
ISBN 0-271-01612-4
[ Among the very best! ]

Luard, Nicholas: The Field of the Star. A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela,
©Nicholas Luard 1998. Penguin Books, St Ives, 1999
[ Describes a fathers pilgrimage during his daughters fight against AIDS ]

Robberstad, Knud Helge: Veien til Santiago. En vandring til Santiago de Compostela,
As verbum Grafiske, Stavanger 1996.
ISBN 9 788299 414906
[ In Norwegian. English translation June 1998: The Road to Santiago, ISBN: 8299414911 - excellent photographs! ]

Stanton, Edward F.: Road of Stars to Santiago,
© 1994 The University Press of Kentucky,
ISBN 0-8131-1871-9

Finally, I look forward to reading the following (as soon as I have finished Shirley Maclaines book!):

Aviva, Elyn: Following the Milky Way: A Pilgrimage on the Camino De Santiago,
2nd edition 2001. Pilgrim's Process, Inc., Boulder. Colorado
ISBN0-9710609-0-8

Lash, Jennifer: On Pilgrimage, A Time to Seek,
Bloomsbury Paperbacks 1998,
ISBN 0-7475-3651-1

Mullins, Edwin:The Pilgrimage to Santiago,
© 1974.
Signal Books,
ISBN 1-902669-31-2

Nimmo, Ben: Pilgrim Snail, Busking to Santiago,
Flamingo, 2001,
ISBN-00-710473-1

Frans.

[ 56°11'38,6'' N. - 10°14'5,36'' E. ]