Getting to St. Jean

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Thu Feb 7 10:04:40 PST 2002

Greetings:  I erred.  The train station to use in Madrid is, as the Toppings, indicate, Charmatin.  My apologies.  I also for got to mention the train from Santiago to Madrid takes about a day.  Does any know if an Airline from Sant. to Mad. still gives a discount if a pilgrim shows the Compostela?  I read this in an account somewhere.  Additionally, I remember that a restaurant in Santiago offered a free meal for the same reason. Any current information?  Thanks, Felipe
  Saludos Jen from New Zealand,

  My husband John and I are beginning our Camino from Roncevalles on April 20.  We are flying from N.Z. to Madrid, where we will stay for a couple of days.  We then get the train from Charmatin Station in Madrid (Talgo 200 - leaves at 7.15 a.m.) to Pamplona.  We will then get a bus to Roncevalles (La Montanesa Buses, Avenida del Conde Oliveto - purchase ticket from the driver) at 4.00 p.m.  This should get us to Roncevalles in time to organise our pilgrims credentials, order a meal, and attend mass.  We intend to leave the next day to begin our journey taking approximately 34-35 days to complete.  We would also like to venture out to Finisterre from Santiago.  We were able to get what we feel is a good walking plan for us from  http://unix6.sysnet.net/~ometzin/itisanti.html.
  We are very excited about our trip and perhaps our paths will meet. All the best for your preparations.
  Marion.