Getting to St. Jean

John Topping j.m.toppingaXTRA.CO.NZ
Wed Feb 6 20:54:14 PST 2002

Saludos Jen from New Zealand,

My husband John and I are beginning our Camino from Roncevalles on April 20.  We are flying from N.Z. to Madrid, where we will stay for a couple of days.  We then get the train from Charmatin Station in Madrid (Talgo 200 - leaves at 7.15 a.m.) to Pamplona.  We will then get a bus to Roncevalles (La Montanesa Buses, Avenida del Conde Oliveto - purchase ticket from the driver) at 4.00 p.m.  This should get us to Roncevalles in time to organise our pilgrims credentials, order a meal, and attend mass.  We intend to leave the next day to begin our journey taking approximately 34-35 days to complete.  We would also like to venture out to Finisterre from Santiago.  We were able to get what we feel is a good walking plan for us from  http://unix6.sysnet.net/~ometzin/itisanti.html.
We are very excited about our trip and perhaps our paths will meet. All the best for your preparations.
Marion.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jen Mann
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 5:02 AM
  Subject: Getting to St. Jean

  It's been a while since I posted, but I think you will see me more often as my leaving date approaches.

  I'm planning the Camino in Mid-April and I am trying to find the cheapest and most convenient way to start in St. Jean coming from North America.  I was thinking of flying into Madrid and taking a train or bus.  If anyone has done this, I would love some info.  Should I just get a connecting flight from Madrid or should I fly into France and organized a more complex itinerary for my departure.

  I imagine there are trains that will take you from Santiago to Madrid.

  If anyone has a link to bus or train schedules in Spain, I would appreciate it.  If in Spanish, it's okay.

  thanks
  jen