New and planning for May of 2003

Tom Gabriele tcgabeaFRONTIERNET.NET
Mon Dec 9 05:02:46 PST 2002

Hello To all.

Thanks to all for your contributions to this forum. To me, they much are
much needed and well-received gifts.

Next Year, 2003, will be my seventieth year.  If all is well, I plan to walk
the El Camino, beginning in May at St Jean.
My purpose is not only spiritual, but also the "r and r" necessary to return
to good health and rediscover and enjoy
our enormous God given wealth.

While excited about my trip, I must say, I remain a bit anxious. I am not an
experienced trekker (I do walk several miles
a week with a 12# day pack); I am not fluent in Spanish (I am taking a 101
course at my local Community college); and,
I am not well versed in foreign travel. But, ..I remain committed.

All advice, encouragement and help are and will be graciously received and
appreciated. Particularly, I would ask:

 From those of you who have "walked the way," what is it that I should not
miss on my pilgrimage?

 From those of you who have experienced the Camino with a background similar
to mine, did you find it a burden
to have limited knowledge of the language and culture? Is there a one or two
week program in Spain wherein I can
immerse myself in the language and the culture before I start? Should I do
so?

 From those who are experienced travelers, what precautions should one take
(travel and health insurance, money,
identity, etc)? Recommended airline?

 From the veterans of the Way, must I obtain a letter of introduction from my
pastor? May I obtain and carry two
passports for the Camino: one for myself, the other for my wife
(posthumously)? Will I the be able to get two
"compostella's?"

What have I forgotten to ask.?

Most likely much of what I ask may have already been discussed, for that I
apologize. Please point me in the right direction and, time permitting;
please feel free to write directly. I will promise to summarize and share
what I learn.

Thanks and Joyous Holidays
tom
tcgabeafrontiernet.net