New member

Michael P. Barham mpb5aDUKE.EDU
Mon Apr 29 20:14:30 PDT 2002

Tony,

I walked from St. Jean last May... can't help with weather.  As for gear, I just took what I absolutely couldn't do with out and nothing really professional except some good boots (and that all depends on one's particular feet anyway).

Some of the guys with whom I met up and walked to Suso (a days walk off the camino).  As we walked this way (via paved roads using a road map), I noticed road signs that said something to the effect of that joining on a wine trail -- a driving tour of wineries, I assumed.  Also, at Yuso, just by Suso, also a monastery, there the oldest known Spanish writing.  At Suso (they both go together, basically), there is a (5?) star hotel, in case you are wanting a little luxury at that point.  I actually slept on a cememt floor for free in someone's garage, but. . . if I were a wealthy pilgrim, I might have splurged.

Peace,
mpb

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tony Schuster
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 10:12 PM
  Subject: New member

  Hola!

  I joined the Friends today because I am walking the Santiago trail with my wife in September/October. I am a reasonably experienced backpacker but this will be our first exposure to trekking. We are in the process of defining the gear to be carried, and the like. We expect to follow the Napoleonic Route starting at St. Jean Pied de Port in mid-September. Advice on gear, weather and the like would be much appreciated.

  This is an exercise in cultural and physical adventure. We have been to Spain a couple of times, have dear friends there and have greatly enjoyed the people and the country. We hope to become acclimatized to the culture and maybe even pick up enough of the language to stop our continual reliance on English. If we can also get some impression of the history in a real, rather than book, sense and renew an old friendship with the wines of Rioja it will be a great time.

   Tony