Cover picture

Joe & MJ mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Thu Apr 18 16:16:38 PDT 2002

To set the record straight:
I am the first hiker in the picture. Two other University of
Nebraska-Lincoln students follow me. Yes, we were "day hikers" with "day
packs". We did have vehicle support. None of us used walking sticks,
although, if I remember correctly, Ana (the 2nd girl) used one later in the
pilgrimage. Of course, the year was 1979, there were no yellow arrows, no
refugios, and no paths. Nine of us (7 students plus David and Linda) were
part of the grand total of between 50-100 walking pilgrims (there were no
biking or horseback pilgrims in those years). We carried notebooks, books
(reading "El Cantar de Mio Cid" in Burgos, etc.), cameras, lunch (never
eaten in a restaurant), water, etc. in our packs. One duffle bag plus one
sleeping back traveled in the car each day so the driver (one of the
students) could find and set up lodging. We slept in haymows in Cebreiro,
deserted buildings in Foncebadon, in private houses, in convents,
monasteries and in schools. At one point we went about 3 weeks without
access to hot water. We learned to wash our clothes in streams and in
communal fountains. We ate more "Menu del dias" than I care to count, just
to save money. And it was fabulous, and I really want to remember it that
way (it was almost that good in 1986, but even though I hope to take my
children on pilgrimage I'm not at all certain it will be the experience I
want for them).
Maryjane (Dunn)