Cell phone squabble

Conor Fortune conoraMADRID.COM
Thu Apr 11 06:17:45 PDT 2002

Hi all.

I have suffered the silly squabbling about
cell phones long enough ... I simply have to
say something.

It is my understanding that the premise of
this list is to provide meaningful advice to
people on a large scale. Individual
bickering over whether or not an individual
should be allowed to rely upon the security
of a cell phone to keep in touch with loved
ones or rely on prayer to do the same is
just that, individual. If you have a viewpoint
on somebody's prerogative one way or the
other on this, I suggest you share it with
that person.

But for what it's worth, arguments that
pilgrims of yesteryear didn't use cellphones
simply doesn't stand up. That is a
naturalistic fallacy. Simply because they
didn't doesn't make it right not to do so.
People saying this are also
self-contradictory in that they are using a
means (e-mail, the Internet) to convey this
message that pilgrims of yesteryear didn't
have either.

I fully appreciate everyone's right to their
opinion, but please if it's not relevant to
everyone, share it with those you intend it
for. I'm tired of seeing the glut of
non-relevant postings on the topic of "cell
phones v. prayer."

If you have a response to this e-mail,
please send it to me personally instead of
burdening the whole group with another
mail in that vein.

Conor F.
Washington D.C.