Trekking Poles vs. Pilgrim Staff

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 11 01:24:48 PDT 2002

Telescopic poles are great, for one thing you can make them longer for the
descent, for another they can fold down into a smaller space - you
certainly don't need a pole on the Meseta!  When collapsed I usually hang
mine thru a loop on one side of my pack when it dangles like a short sword
out of the way but convenient in case the way steepens up.

On the other, more romantic, hand the wooden pole give a much more natural
sound as it thonks against the path!  There is an old man in Rabanal who
carves beautiful staffs to order (ready while you wait almost) but by then
you'll be 2/3 the way along.

Watch out for another old Spaniard in Logroño though.  As we were walking
thru he stopped his truck and jumped out to give candy to the three of us;
seeing Angelika was without pole or staff he dipped into the back of the
truck and produced a long (six feet plus) and heavy pole cum cross which,
despite all of her protestations, he presented to her.

After he left Angelika wanted to ditch the staff but we wouldn't let her.
Eventually she hid it in a tree on the walk out of town.

On the way into Navarette there is a wood mill and numerous Pelegrinos have
fashioned crosses out of wood chips and fixed them to the wire fence.
There was also the twin of Angelika's staff!

On to the albergue in Navarette where we found another eight - our Friend
in Logrono is well known!

Two hours after we arrived a Belgian came in bearing Angelika's staff
saying he'd found it by the wayside where someone had "lost" it.

Don't say you haven't been warned! :-)

Jeffrey