The SJPP walk

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Fri Apr 5 07:27:35 PST 2002

Dear all,

I think that Pieter's advice needs one caveat. After walking for several weeks,
all the way across France from Holland, Pieter must have been quite well
road-hardened by the time he started the "Route Napoleon." To see what it can
be like for a raw beginner on the first day, there is a good description in
"Following the Milky Way," by Elyn Aviva (née Ellen Feinberg). One suggestion I
have read about is that a pilgrim can find accommodations in Hountto, about 6
km along the way. It might also help to start at Ostabat, the confluence of
three of leschemins,to get in a bit of conditioning (and equipment shakedown)
before tackling what has been reported to be one of the toughest sections of
the pilgrimage. No, I don't speak from experience since I haven't done this
route. These are things that I have considered in case I get a chance to make a
try at it.

Pieter and Elyn - any comments?

regards,

Robert