walking with money

Adrienne Patton casamagdalenaYAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 4 12:00:09 PST 2002

Hi Denise,

Refugios average between $2-$4 - some, including all
those in Galicia are free, but donations are
appreciated.

If you eat a pilgrims menu in the evening, they are
usually $5-$6.  There are some refugios that serve
meals, and some have kitchens so you can cook, but I
usually (75% of the time?) had a menu out with fellow
pilgrims.

I would usually stop in the morning within an hour of
walking at a bar for breakfast - I got nauseous if I
skipped food or ate too light in the morning. This
ranged from $2-$4.  We would buy food in bars or
tiendas for lunch, and that was about the same.

So, on an average day, I needed about $15 for shelter
and food.  It is possible to be even more frugal if
you choose to buy & carry food from tiendas & always
use kitchens when available rather than eat out.  A
few days we would splurge in the evening on a room in
a hostal or a nice meal/drinks in the tavern.  I tried
to maintain a balance of frugality (an ascetic
lifestyle), fun with my new friends, and a spirit of
generosity with fellow pilgrims, refuges and local
people who helped us.

I carried a bank (debit) card with money in the
account to cover $20 a day - and I ended up figuring
it just right.  I never carried more than $200 in
cash.  Banks have short hours and it's hard to find
one open when you need it.  Travelers checks are
expensive and inconvenient these days.  ATM machines
are abundant and available 24/7 - check with your bank
to insure your card is a major "brand", like Cirrus,
and that you have a 4-digit PIN.  Carry a duplicate
card in another part of your pack.

Besides my bankcard for daily expenses, I carried a
Visa/MC for travel expenses from Madrid to SSJP and
back to Madrid from Santiago, as well as for
emergencies that never arose.

I hope this helps!
Adrienne