Cycling June 2002

Jean Seeler & Dave Gifford jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Tue Apr 2 04:57:46 PST 2002

We cycled from Pamplona to Santiago in May-June 2001, our "bible" was the
book "The Way of St James Le Puy to Santiago - A Cyclist's Guide, by John
Higginson, published by Cicerone Press in England, ISBN- 1 85284 274 1.  It
gives alternate routes to those in "The Pilgrim's Road to Santiago" by
Millan Bravo Lozano.

Be warned, that some refugios and alburgues DO NOT ACCEPT CYCLISTS at all.
Others won't open beds to cyclists until around 7 PM or so.   Others are
first come first in no matter the means of transport (except those with
support vehicles).

Higginson tells you where the route is really practicable for cyclists, when
to take a parallel road, where there are bars and stores to purchase food,
where the hostals are not bicycle freindly, where there are hostals (small
hotels) etc.  It provides relief maps to show the heights in meters.

We flew from the USA with our bikes partially disassembled, packed in boxes
by our local bike store.  We were able to get them on the plane as one piece
of luggage, on the train in a first class carriage,  and on a bus into the
city at the Pamplona RENFE station still in the boxes (it was late at
night.).

Buen Camino.   If you want more information, please contact me directly.

       jean seeler    jeandaveamindspring.com