birds

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Tue Sep 25 16:50:51 PDT 2001

I never thought that I would be writing a reply to one of my own messages, but here
it is.

The book described finally showed up, hiding behind its spiral binding. The title
is "Camino de Santiago  -  Guía de la Naturaleza" by Luis Frechilla García, with
photographs by Fernando Fernandez and Norberto Cabezas. It is published by Edilisa,
publisher of a number of books and guides for the camino and for Spain in general.
ISBN 84-8012-253-6. It is a true route guide with individual 5 inch square maps at
about 1:16000 (i.e. 1 cm to 1.6 km),  so each map is about 20 km across. It covers
both the Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Somport starts and two routes from Santiago to
Fisterra. It does not have information on accommodations, but does include pictures
of towns and buildings as well as the natural scene which is the major emphasis of
the book. Plants, birds, animals, and insects are identified by their Spanish names
only. The pictures are excellent and the reproduction is very well done.

regards,

Robert