Fwd.: From New York City

Anderson, Lida andeliaCONSUMER.ORG
Fri Sep 14 07:40:56 PDT 2001

Rosina,

My prayers are with you and all the others. I am at a loss for words as most
are and their is nothing I can say that is originally that would ease the
pain.  Nonetheless, I am a New Yorker and if there is anything I can do --
please let me know.  I plan on volunteering my time this weekend to assist
with any efforts needed.

Prayers of Comfort, Peace and Courage to all.

Lida

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosina Lila [mailto:BlaroliaAOL.COM]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 10:22 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: Fwd.: From New York City

My friends,
With 9 neighbors, 4 close friends, 3 colleagues and 7 my students
unaccounted
for, my heart is in a vise and my stomach is a deepening heavy pain.... a
bloodless wound.
So many of you have written and called that I'll endeavor to answer. I am
moved by those pilgrims whom I met at the Camino casually last month and who
have taken the time and trouble to find out my phone number and call.  I am
also touched by the offer of donations and help which the Santiago
Archdiocese sent my parish.
I can only try to tell you something of what we have gone through the last
two days:  On Wednesday the wind shifted and the smoke, laden with asbestos,
came our way.  Most people went about with face masks.  The crowds around
Saint Vincent's increased and, spontaneously, many people formed groups and
knelt on the street to pray the rosary and light candles.  Many relatives of
the missing began distributing leaflets with pictures and heart-wrenching
legends about last minute phone-calls from them;  I did not see anyone
reading them not in tears.
A center of information was formed at the New School, two blocks away, to
alleviate the congestion around the hospital.  The lines of those waiting to
be told something, anything, stretched beyond the block.  Scattered
throughout were volunteer tables with cofee, food, and hugs.... lots of
hugs..
This continued yesterday, with hope turning into despair.  After days
without
traffic in our neighborhood, those stores that were opened had almost nohing
left..... We began toi run out of water, there has been no mail or any other
deliveries and air conditioning was discontinued because of the lack of oil.
Our telephone connections are iffy, which has disquieted our friends and
relatives abroad trying to contact us. But these are insignificant
inconveniences. It is, however, eerie to see the A & P with little or no
food
to sell.
At almost every corner in this neighborhood we are stopped by state troopers
and asked for our IDs, and at every corner there are leaflets with pictures
of the missing, people crying, and candles.
We seem to be becoming sort of numb, while putting on a brave front.
We New Yorkers have a reputation for being self-centered, uncivil and
uncaring.  I think that our attitude is largely due to the fact that we live
in a place where there is so much to do, all the time, and not enought time
to do it all, that we are always, always in a hurry.  Further, many people
with an overabundance of energy are attracted by the pace of our City, and
when they move here they add to it.
But repeatedly, we have shown that in times of crisis we are quite
caring..... during blackouts, transit strikes, overwhelming snow storms,
etc.,  we have all jumped in to help one another and to solve the
difficulties ... eager to put our shoulders to the wheel.
This time, alas, there is no wheel.... and many of us are somewhat lost, as
well is immensely pained, unable to get in there and fix things.
My dear Pieter should know that candle vigils have been spontaneously
organized all over the City.
True, there are some ugly aspects as well:  our famous short-temper has
become shorter by the lack of our accustomed comforts: small fights and
arguments arupt over bagatelles in an unusual way..... it may be that we are
just on edge. And, yes, there have been some 90 false bomb threats,
particularly in the subways.  Do they speak of meanness?... or of a desire
share in the peril?
Today it is raining, and it has rained through the night. This may quiet the
dangerous substances in the air, but it will also impede, I fear, the
continuing rescue efforts.  Yet it seems that the sky is crying alongside
us.
That is all I can tell you right now.  I am going out to see if there is
something, anything, that I  and so many others can do..... fearing that
there is really no wheel to put our shoulders to.  If not the most painful
cut of all, this is a very painful one, indeed.
Join me in praying for Good Will to come to those in power, so that we may
all have Peace.
Rosina (in mourning New York City)