Questions from Philly planner

brian douglas bcamaDOUGLASB.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Oct 30 08:44:31 PST 2001

Rod.. I found the buses in northern Spain to be a much better bet.The trains are either painfully slow local ones and the fast ones are very infrequent and ooften go at the
most inconvenient times.Check out ALSA buses ..timetable is online I think.They are regular reliable,comfortable Greyhound like beasts and they are not expensive.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rod White
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 2:19 PM
  Subject: Questions from Philly planner

  Hello everyone,

  Thanks for all the very helpful talk on this list, since I joined! You are an interesting, caring group!

  I haven't been learning fast enough from eavesdropping and reading all the books. So I decided to ask for some advice.

  1) My wife and I only have three weeks to be pilgrims next summer, but we feel quite moved to be on the road to Santiago. I'm thinking we will fly to Madrid, where we have friends, and then travel to a spot on the camino where we can start our journey. Given that we are 47 and reasonably in shape. Where is a good starting place that is about two weeks from Santiago?

  2) I also have not discovered what is the best way to travel from and back to Madrid. Is the train a good way to travel in Spain? Have you ever tried one-way car rentals?

  3) We are very interested in making kind of a side-pilgrimage on the way back to Avila, since we have been greatly influenced by Teresa. Does anyone care to give us hints on how to explore there for a day?

  Perhaps I am jumbling too many questions together. So I appreciate your patience, in advance.

  Thanks,
  Rod White
  Philadelphia