Taste test

Mac Quart macsquartaYAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 15 09:57:13 PDT 2001

1.  Zamberlan....  never heard of it....
2.  Lowa has some good shoes... my best friend loves them
3.  Merrell... I swear by Merrell.  Italian made and labeled for sell by many places
such as REI (which has a very good replacement guarantee) Often listen in the top
boots by hiking magazines.  I like the gortex because of waterproof breathability.
Very easy to break in.  I like the locking lace hooks on many of their styles...
very convenient and helpful when walking in varied terrain.
4.  Vasque.... the widely sung best brand.  I don't really like the styles.  I think
that they are often lacking in padding.  But  VERY durable (my grandmother has a
pair she bought maybe 20 years ago that she wears when we walk.)  You might want to
look at their website (i don't know what it is) and check out their styles.

Really the type of boot is up to you.  Make sure to get insoles that are right for
your feet.  I have never found a brand of boots I would consider had a decent insole
and that is one of the most important parts.  Just spend the extra 10 dollars to buy
a new set of insoles.  Break in your boots a couple of months in advance using your
favorite break in method.  Wear them as often as possible because once you get on
the camino, you will only be wearing those.  I like the 2 sock method but that is
also up to you.  Bring athletic tape to put on any "hot spots" where blisters are
beginning to form.  It is cheaper than moleskin and more useful.  I like boots that
are mid to high so that they can support my ankles in rough terrain.  Make sure to
get some nikwax or other waterproofer and apply generously to the leather and use a
hairdryer to cause the leather to soak in the waterproofer.  I have to run but would
be happy to answer any more questions on or off the list.

Mac
macsquartayahoo.com