Peter of Compostela

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 2 10:30:32 PDT 2001

This one is an inquiry for all of you Camino medieval history buffs...you
know who you are:

I'm back to researching the Pedro of Santiago, Bishop of the Cathedral and
have figured out which Pedro:  Pedro de Monzonzo, who was Bishop in 997 when
the cathedral was sacked by Almanzor.

He supposedly remained praying at the altar of the tomb of St. James when
Almanzor found him.  Everyone else had fled.  Almanzor ordered his men not
to touch him or the place where he prayed.

He is also the author, according to many sources, of the Salve Regina, a
Marian hymn still sng all over as part of the church liturgy.

My question is whether he, as bishop of the Cathedral School at the turn of
the millennium (1000, that is) ever wrote anything else.

I'm counting on you..this is a serious inquiry,
Kathy