What determines a real pilgrim?

Juel Dagenais-Rollison juelaVIRGINIA.EDU
Fri Nov 23 06:31:41 PST 2001

> What determines a real pilgrim?  Is it the mode of travel, or is it the
> presence of faith?  Is a real pilgrim one who walks or one who looks up?

Such a subjective thing that I would have to say that anyone who considers
themselves a pilgrim is.  I mean, how could we say otherwise?  One cannot
judge another's heart/spirit/intention.  I feel a bit reluctant to call
myself a pilgrim as I feel that "pilgrim" is more a state of being obtained
through travelling the Camino.  This leads me to think that even those along
the path who don't think of themselves as pilgrims, may in spirit actually
be closer.  When I say closer, I suppose I am revealing that I do have some
concrete and personal definition or image of what it means to be a pilgrim.
I think I have romanticized it quite a bit to mean something deeply
personal, quiet, intense.  Perhaps I see it as both joy and penance.  An
accomplishment and a way of "getting clean."  Even if that clean is from
"unplugging", reflecting, seeing...

Juel