Santiago and San Rocco

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Nov 20 09:20:13 PST 2001

Hello you all,
    Searching thru the references that you have given me I still haven't been
able to find any information as to whether San Rocco made a pilgrimage to
Santiago.
    All his images, wherever I have seen them, show him in full pilgrim's
garb, much, adorned with the Santiago shells, and accompanied by the dog
which reportedly saved his life (San Rocco, a Medieval French pilgrim to
Rome, was attacked and wounded in Italy in the belief that he was a foreign
spy, and was dying in a cave of his wounds and hunger when a dog appeared,
licked his wounds, and brought food to him at the cave until San Rocco
recovered).
    San Rocco's body is believed to be buried at the San Rocco's church in
Venice (which is more a museum than a church and, in fact, The Scoula di San
Rocco,  an art school containing a hall which is the Sistine chapel of
Venice, is next to the church).
    Fortunately, there is now a Delta direct flight from New York City
straight to Venice, and once there, a sort of mini-van-boat from the airport
to San Marco. This avoids the tiredness (and loss of half a day) of changing
planes in Milan or Rome, and then taking a bus or taxi into the outskirts of
Venice to get a vaporetto dragging along one's luggage.  The new service
makes the trip irresistible  and I am leaving tonight to spend the
Thanksgiving days in Venice.
    Once there I intend to park myself at San Rocco's and collar a priest or
two until I find out whether, and when, San Rocco did make the pilgrimage to
Santiago, and, if not, why is he depicted as having done so.
    I will report what I learn when I return next week.
    Do have a lovely Holiday..... We sure do need it.
    Blessings to you all and affectionate regards,
                          Rosina