crowds on the Camino

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Sat Nov 17 18:21:45 PST 2001

In a message dated 17/11/01 16:49:39 GMT Standard Time, HMe347aAOL.COM writes:
> From: HMe347aAOL.COM (Howard Mendes)

>  The Camino is something personal and it is for everyone, tourists and
>  busloads of kids included.  I don't thing we should judge other people
based
>  on one's own spiritual values and perceptions of what the Camino "should
be".
>   there's nothing wrong in my mind if crowds of people make the journey for
>  whatever reasons or inclinations they may have.  I am Jewish and I found
it
> a meaningful experience.  Howard Mendes NYC

 From Howard, Hmcellardykeaaol.com
Dear Mr Howard Mendes,
I quite agree with you.

The Camino is a personal experience open to all without any membership
requirements other than the desire to make the pilgrimage.

During my twelve days of pilgrimage I met so many dedicated people who have
opened albergues not to make a fortune or to form an exclusive club but to
serve
the ideals of the Camino.  The many Hospitaleros who work long hours for
little pay but they do the work because they love the spirit of the camino.

The Santiago pilgrimage is exclusive to each and every person who makes it.
Please do not demean anyone who makes that journey for to do so you demean
your own experience. I met so many pilgrims young, middle aged and the young
at heart who were struggling to complete their pilgrimage and even gave a
lift to some pilgrims who were injured, who then rested, gained strength and
walked on.  It was such a joy to meet them in Santiago knowing that the lift
had made the difference between them going home and giving them the
opportunity to complete the camino. I learnt the joy of compassion, the joy
in sharing and the joy of helping other pilgrims in trouble. In other words I
experienced the spirit and meaning of the Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage.
As a non Roman Catholic I received a warm welcome and their Blessings from
priests along the way and in Santiago too.

Often people avoid over night stops in an albergue for the advantage of a
hotel, with hot showers or baths and for the privacy of a single bed.
You do not have to stay in the albergues if you have no wish to do so
although the experience, friendship, companionship is a big loss. Sitting in
the glow of a woodstove listening to a pilgrim playing classical guitar
music, folk songs or stories is a magical time.
Sitting around the kitchen-table enjoying the fellowship as the delightful
smell of cooking wafts by your nose. Seeing and enjoying a wonderful meal
prepared from items other pilgrims have left behind. The many invitations to
sit and enjoy a meal prepared from a bit of this and a bit of that as each
pilgrim shares what they have.
The cosmopolitan friendship of pilgrims from many parts of the world should
not be missed too.
Although in writing the above I would not condem those who choose to stay in
a hotel, it is a personal choice. However I do feel they miss so much.
Every Blessing to everyone.
Howard

Howard Murphy, Cellardyke Harbour, Scotland