Our Camino pics on line

Barry Evans barryevans9aYAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 15 10:33:46 PST 2001

Louisa and I have been smiling all day, reading all the generous comments
following posting our photos. Let's see, there were a couple of questions to
answer:

Camera? for my work, i use film. for everything else, digital rules! i have a
Canon PowerShot S100, which I think has now been superseded by the S110 (?).
Mine cost nearly $600 2 years ago, but the price had dropped to below $400 last
time I saw it advertised. A beautiful camera, weighs--with the charger and plug
adaptor (which you have to take along) less than 13 oz. I got the largest
memory chip that works in this model, 128 Mb, cost about $80 on eBay (where
else?!), I shoot in hi (but not the highest) resolution, for about 208 images
which print out very nicely on lettersize photo paper (not film quality, but
people ask, i.e. it's close).
Nice thing is that you can have mini instant slide shows (there's a little LCD
screen on the back of the camera) to share with folks. Fun.

Cathedral at night shot: I'm always trying odd shots with the camera (dump them
if they don't work)...So night shots, yes, lots of. Flash doesn't do any good
for anything more than 20 feet away, but the camera has a kinda-sorta time
exposure option. I think it was propped up on a garbage can for that shot.

Flecha amarilla T-shirt...we got ours in Santiago, several shops sell them (and
everything else caminowise, probably have been for 1000 years!). Cost about
$10, I think. Fun.

One thing above all? I agree with Bill and Robert's response. I'd probably add
2 things: allow enough time for a flexible and (optonally) lazy schedule (we
kept meeting people who had to be in Santiago on a certain day, and for us the
immediacy and spontaneity of the camino is what made it different for Real
Life). (We didn't buy homeward tickets back to London, our "midway" stop, until
we had finished the camino...we decided at the last minute to fly to San
Sebastian, knowing there are tons of London-bound options from there (2 ferry
routes, train thru spain from the border, fly from Biarritz, which is how we
started on Ryan, and--what we actually did--fly Balboa to London).
And second, as has been written on this forum so many times, go light! We
carried about 16 pounds each, including water and a couple of powerbars, and
light sleeping bags of course.
Thanks again for all the nice comments about the photos
Barry

=====
Barry Evans    (707) 476 8317
217 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501

Check out our camino photos: http://us.geocities.com/barryevans9/camino

"Is it possible that we're actually okay?"