Our Camino pics on line

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Wed Nov 14 19:48:28 PST 2001

>Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed them. I hope
>to be able to go next May; is there anything that you think people planning
>to go need to know above all else?
>Thanks again.

Lgalil

Elaine (my wife) & I cycled the Camino from Paris to Finnestere two years ago.
 I'm sure you will get lots of advice from many people.  The best advice that I
can give you is to "smile and roll with the punches".  People will look out for
you if you smile, speak a few words their language and don't complain about
anything.  I always learn: "please", "thank you" and "your welcome" in the
language of the country that we're visiting.  It also helps to be able to ask
"where are the bathrooms?" and maybe "I'd like a beer." :^)   Everyone helped
us find food  and lodging when we asked, especially when we were cold and wet.
 They always found someone to translate when they couldn't speak English and
couldn't understand our  marginal French, German or Spanish.

Expect things to be different and enjoy the difference.  We traveled for a few
days with a couple who were never satisfied with anything.  The food was: too
hot, too cold, not fresh enough, etc.; and they were never satisfied with the
refuges.   Sure we stayed in some places that were not as comfortable as we
would have liked but the owners were trying to help and that is the main point.
 Expect good days and bad days.  Think about the  good days on the bad ones,
but most of all have a "Buen Camino" as that is the reason you came.

Guess this is not what you asked for but it is the best advice that I can give
you.  Other sources can provide lots of "nuts and bolts" advice.

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue
klamath falls, or 97601
olcbillafireserve.net