CREDENTIAL

Christopher Hewitt chewitt_friendsusaaHOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 12:45:07 PST 2001

True enough. Some places have enormous stamps that take up 2 boxes. And at times they put them in eroneous places if they are in a hurry.
Having the passport in hand ahead of time, you can always take additional, blank paper for extra stamps.
If you carry a journal, it is also nice to put extra stamps in the journal next to entries.

As I had mentioned to Robert in an email, your journal can act as your passport. You just need to have it signed by the porper authorities just as any "official" passport. Remember, the Pilgrim Passport is not a Country Passport. Many of them are stylized to meet the desired design of the association that provides them.

Some are very practical and come with small maps with cities and distances, as well as practical information provided by a key legend.

If you wished to be creative, you really could desgin your own passport to meet your specific needs.

At times, I have carried a small 3x5 notebook and it worked fine.

Ingenuity is a part of what makes any aspect of life a little more exciting.

There are so many different approaches to partaking in the pilgrimage that there are no "seet" answers.

For example: I wasn't too pleased with the T-Shirt selections that were available, and was very hard pressed to find one that described the Via de la Plata. So I designed a T-shirt for myself, and with the support of Dennis Nykiel, made additional Ts to hand out along the route to thank those people offering support to pilgrims. I had walked from Salamanca the previous year, and I had been really impressed by the generosity and friendships I found along a route that any barely even knew existed. It is the only shirt I still have from any of my pilgrimages, and it has been on at least three. I wouldn't trade it for the best polar-tec T in the world.

There are RULES and GUIDELINES, and then there are rules and guidelines. Know the RULES and GUIDELINES, and make up your own ruels and guidelines.

All roads lead to Rome, and all cañadas, foot paths, cow trails and riverlets seem to lead to Santiago (having found this out the hard way).

Be safe, have fun, and remain open to all changes.

A smile is the most important piece of equipment you can take along with you, as well as a bit good-humor and faith.

Peace and Smiles
Christopher (aka: Huey)