A Practical Guide for Pilgrims: Millan Bravo Lorano

Ellen McGinnis EMcGinnisaSABA.COM
Wed May 23 13:01:42 PDT 2001

Hi All.

I found the Lonely Planet's Walking Guide to Spain to be helpful. The last
30 pages or so are dedicated to the Camino. It's not as in-depth as the
Practical Guide for Pilgrim's, but it does map the route from Roncellvales
to Compestela. I am planning to take the 30 pages with me as my guide book
when I leave next week.

For an anthropological perspective, I also read Nancy Frey's book entitled
"Pilgrim Stories" which was lovely and informational. Some of the stories
are moving and she does a wonderful job of giving credence to each Pilgrim's
story. I don't plan to take it with me, but have a lot of memories from what
I read.

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Barr [mailto:lbarr604aEARTHLINK.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 6:23 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: A Practical Guide for Pilgrims: Millan Bravo Lorano

Hello -

I am Leslie, a new person on the list from Washington DC.  I plan to walk
the Camino for the first time starting at the end of June.  I wanted to let
people know that I called the Spanish Tourist Office in New York yesterday,
and they no longer give out the Practical Guide for Pilgrims. The woman I
spoke to said I should plan to find it in Spain.

Has anyone used the guide books offered on the web by the Camino group in
England?  Does one
really need a guidebook?

Thanks
Leslie