clarification

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Fri May 18 13:28:56 PDT 2001

Preston:

"Montosa" was a typo, but I didn't know what happened to them later.  so
thanks for the info about The Order of St.
> George of Alfama.  Do they continue under that name?

        Alfama, established in 1201 by Peter II of Aragon, was subsumed by
Montesa which is the name of the order today.

I know the BenedictineOrder and the Templar Order were closely "related" -
in fact, weren't the founders of both closely related - like uncle and
nephew, or something like that?

        The Templars were founded by Hugh of Payns and eight other knights.
Hugh was born near Troyes and became a             Benedictine monk at the
age of sixteen. One of his earliest recruits was Andrew of Montbard, the
younger uncle of             Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux and the
intellectual force in convicing the Pope he should recognize this new order
of                 Christian monks. I think this is the tie between the two
orders you mention.

 The lapse in time between the founding of the Masons and the formal
 "extinction" of the Templars - I know there was an explanation in "The
 Temple and the Lodge" - I just don't remember it off hand.  I'll have to
 look it up later.

        I'll be interested in what you find.

All the best.