Templars

Preston Pittman preston_pittmanaHOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 18 10:47:52 PDT 2001

Thanks, Heather.  When you are in Paris, you should know that the Templar
Stronghold there, which included a Church, Castle and Bank was located on
the Rue du Temple.  The Temple referred to *is* their Order.

Most of the Notre Dame Cathedrals built in France during the 1100s and 1200s
were done so with Templar financial assistance.  In Notre Dame de Chatres,
there is a carving over the entrance to the crypt of a group of Templars
carrying the Arc of the Covenant *into the crypt of the Cathedral".  There
has been much speculation that the Templars actually found the arc of the
covenant in Jerusalem when they were excavating and constructing the
foundations of their enclave there.

The Templars built unusually shaped churches.  Santa Maria de Eunate in
Spain, along the Camino from Jaca is a prime example.  They also left some
fabulous castles - the one at Ponferrada, again on the Camino, is one not to
be missed!

There are many legends and stories associating the Templars with the Holy
Grail.  Some say they had the actual, physical Grail in their possession and
hid it.  Others say that the secret of the Grail was a more "earth
shattering" secret that they guarded against the institution of the Roman
Catholic Church, which is why the Church went along with the Kings of France
and England when the Templars were charged with heresy.