stricter rules

Richard Lee RealeeaTHEGRID.NET
Fri Mar 30 20:34:26 PST 2001

I too have no idea what Lisa's answers would be.  I am not even sure what my
answers would be.  I was raised a Catholic, was in the preparatory seminary at
St.Charles at 13, lasted three years, left the church while I was in the army
during WW 2.  In fact the Army sent me to Fordham University in 1943 to study
Spanish and Spanish culture.  It's as if I have always known about the  Camino
although I must have learned about it in seminary or at Fordham studying with
Spanish refugees.  It's as if I have always wanted to walk the Camino, in or
out of the Church.  The call was there, is there.  It is something I feel
compelled to do.  If I could get out ot it , I would.  I was greatly encouraged
by a late 12th century poem cited by Lee Hoinacki in his El Camino: Walking to
Santiago de Compostella.  It is a poem praising the refugioat Roncesvalles.

                The door is open to all, sick or well,
                Not onlty Catholics, but pagans also,
                To Jews, heretics, idlers, the vain
                And... the good and the worldly , too.

This is Hoinacki's translation.  He adds, "The only test for entry is that you
appear to be on the camino, no questions are asked."  Since I tend to identify
with all these orders, qualities, and conditions, I am heartened by the poem's
message.  No questions.  The heart already knows the reasons.

I begin my journey in mid-May.

Peace.

richard e. lee