ticks, mosquitoes, etc.

Maryjane Dunn mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Thu Mar 29 07:25:43 PST 2001

If I remember correctly (Linda is still having computer problems and so
isn't in on these latest posts regarding bugs): Linda was bitten by a
tick(?) and contracted Lyme disease (or something similar) while on the
Camino in 86 (?). Of course, when she and David lead a group they are often
out in "real" nature, as opposed to on the more traveled route. I believe
she picked up the critter while napping/reading/studying in a pasture near
San Juan de la Pena or San Millan.

Sorry to be so vague, but the point is: yes, there are ticks. But remember:
this is NOT a Club Med vacation, nor is it a night at the Hilton. There
should be ticks. If you're going to lay down to rest out in a field, spread
your poncho beneath you. When you get up, take a quick check for critters.
Know what to do to remove an attached tick before you go. (Everyone has a
favorite home cure. Generally the most commonly approved way is to use
tweezers and with a slow gentle pull try to remove it. It is very important
to get ALL of the head, etc.)

Those asking about mosquito nets for your head: Personally I think you would
look really silly, but more importantly, ask yourself: Would I wear mosquito
netting to hike in Yellowstone Park? or in the Black Hills? or across a
wheatfield in Nebraska? If the answer is yes, then by all means take it
along. Do remember that while this is a grand outdoor adventure, Spain is
not a 3rd world country, you may be "roughing it" by American standards, but
you don't need to outfit yourself as if you were leaving civilization for a
month--you will pass through many villages where you can buy a can of "Off"
(or something similar) if you find you're really plagued by flying or biting
critters.

Maryjane

ps--no one has asked about poisonous snakes...No poisonous ones that I know
of (although I have seen a couple of garden variety snakes in rock walls on
the Route), but there are poisonous asps in places. <wicked grin>