Camino motivations

Jessica Hopkins jesnmochaYAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 13 12:50:32 PST 2001

--- "Michael P. Barham" <mpb5aduke.edu> wrote:
> By the way,
>
> how many people are actually walking the camino out
> of CHRISTIAN faith, rather than "to find myself" or
> to push the limits or to see the sights?
>
> Just curious,
> Michael

Hi Michael, I MIGHT be. How's that for an answer? I've
definitely fit into the "finding myself" category for
years (still do), and am a lapsed Catholic. Some time
ago, in conversation with an ex-nun friend of mine, I
was reminded that I am, at least, a cultural Catholic.
Much time, contemplation, conversation later, I've
reintegrated what is "Catholic", and still fits, back
into my life. Largely changed from what I was taught
in 12 years of Catholic schools, yet recognizable as
Christian (and revived), is my Faith.

My personal spirituality is much informed by the
message of love of Jesus, and my sense of wonder of
"GOD"/Divine Spirit/Universal Spirit... as evidenced
by daily Abundance. Personal experience informs me
that where Abundance is not evident, there is a
higher, and deferred, understanding (all my suffering
has pushed me forward; shone the light for me for my
next step, painful as it may be. I've seen this
dynamic too in my family where we've experienced
physical disabilities, batterings, emotional
violence..., and the more run-of-the-mill
"suffering".)

While I have many reasons for walking the Camino
(starting this coming May), including an "invitation"
from That Whom/She Whom guides me, in the form of
unrelenting synchronicities, I include among them the
honoring of the deep spiritual hopes, passions, trials
and tribulations of those that have passed before me.
My belief in a Holographic Universe (which
co-habitates quite well with my Christian
ethic/values) leads me to belive that my heart quest
now, reverberates into the past - as earlier pilgrims'
quests reverberate forward to now. I include both the
Christian path, and the possible/probable druidic
initiatory path.

Further, I realize that immersing myself into a path
that is decidedly Christian - history, architecture
and art, intent of my road companions... may further
reveal to me other ways in which I still travel with
one foot on the Christian path.

Other than that, I hope to find myself. That is, I
hope for clarity to those open, and defined, questions
of faith, character, healing, living in a body,
consciousness, growth, service, teaching, living a
life of meaning and connection - outside of the
parameters of consumerism, life trajectory..., that
percolate through me in this transformative time in my
life. But, it DOES all have to do with a profound
deepening of Faith. (However, other than on the
Camino, and an occasional visit to Grace Cathedral,
you're not likely to find me in a church.)

Thanks for asking. Anyone else have something to say?