Author of the Book of James

Michael Wyatt MWyatt01aEMAIL.MSN.COM
Fri Mar 2 19:56:24 PST 2001

Hello there -- I'll tell what I know, though it only repeats Robin's
scholarly and quick summary.
James the Greater is the brother of John and is not definitely known to be
the author of anything.
James the Lesser is another disciple of Jesus, known only by name; only
legends about him, and he produced no texts.
James the brother of Jesus is the author of the Book (or Epistle) of James
in the New Testament; he was the leader of the CHristian community in
Jerusalem and is prominent in the Book of Acts (where the martyrdom of James
the Greater--of Compostela--is mentioned).  This James is thought by those
who hold to Mary's perpetual virginity to be Joseph's child by a previous
marriage, which would make him Jesus' older step-brother.  Those who don't
need Mary to be a perpetual virgin feel freer to assume he is Jesus' younger
half-brother (same mother, different father--of course, if God is Jesus'
father).
The Protoevangelion or Apocryphal Gospel of James is by an unidentified
James.  Nothing in that text makes clear who the author might be.  I had
speculated that it is likely to be "James the brother of Jesus," since it
treats of Jesus' family, but have since heard that a "critical text"
suggests that it could be "our" James of Compostela.
Though I am neither Linda, Kathy, Maryjane, Elyn, Rosina, nor the
mysteriously named "Help," I trust my Ph.D. and seminary training for this;
I hope you can, too.

Michael