Safety in the Camino

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Jun 29 07:45:58 PDT 2001

Hello you all:
I should clarify an early message:
The two known assaults were perpetrated on women as they were leaving an
urban area and walking alone with no other pilgrim on sight.
I can't help remembering that here, in New York City, those runners who have
been attacked in Central Park have been invariably women alone.
While traveling I myself have been assaulted twice: one in Paris and once in
Kiev. Both times I was alone.  Ever since, I have learned to do without a
purse, fanny pack, etc.; I make do with very little in the way of make-up and
such and whatever I carry is in my pockets unless I am accompanied.
While I walked the Camino alone last year there were always other pilgrims
starting out at the same time, or on sight, and I neither had any problems
nor heard of any.
Fond regards,
Rosina