Security in the Camino

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Jun 28 11:30:53 PDT 2001

Hello you all,
The Spanish Guardia Civil (federal police) advise women, and other pilgrims,
not to walk alone when leaving sizable cities.  Two assaults have been
reported perpetrated by seemingly organized gangs.
A woman walking alone was assaulted by three hoodlums as she was leaving
Virgen Del Camino on her way to Leon; the hooligans took all her money and
documents and fled in a waiting car.  The Guardia Civil believes that such
occurrences are likely when a pilgrim leaves a city on the belief that s/he
may have obtained cash in such city for use in the non-urban portions of the
Camino. Although only two such assaults have been reported, it is better to
be cautious and heed the Guardia Civil's advise.
It saddens me to need to do so,  but I thought I should tell you.
Regards,
Rosina