New to list - Spring 2002

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Thu Jun 21 21:37:12 PDT 2001

Richard,

I would recommend starting from the city of Pau. It provides several days
of walking in France and offers two options for crossing the Pyrenees. It
is on the Arles route which normally crosses at Somport, but, from Oloron,
it is only a day's walk to switch over to the route from Le Puy in order to
follow the currently more popular route through Saint Jean Pied de Port.

April is rather early to cross the Pyrenees, but is not likely to be a
problem to a Colorado resident. The only drawback is that you would have to
carry the additional weight of cold weather gear.

I did the Arles route in 2000, crossing at Somport in mid May. At that time
the weather was great.

R. Spenger