another question - re: rain gear

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Jun 18 20:05:11 PDT 2001

Delphia,

I'd certainly second poncho over rainjacket and certainly not rain pants.

I have loved my poncho and have been grateful for its comfort.  With t-shirt
and walking shorts underneath it's cool enough for warm rain.  With
windbreaker, layers, pant legs zipped on, and rain gaiters underneath it was
the first windbreak in serious cold.  I got mine at R.E.I. and it is large
enough that it comes to within a foot or eighteen inches of the ground and
is cut longer in back so that it covers the pack.  It's also snapped to fold
up the bottom twenty inches or so and make the back short enough that it
doesn't drag if it's worn without a pack.  And it rolls up to about the size
of a large toothpaste tube.

Donald Schell