Somport Pass/Aragon Route early May 2001

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Sun Jun 10 20:46:30 PDT 2001

Dear Delphia,

> ... exactly what 'list' are you refering to..... the   gocamino
> list.... of one of a different sort... you refer  to 'the list' a couple of
     > times, and I am not quite sure.

Yes, I meant this, the gocamino list, which proved a huge help in answering
the particular planning questions this spring I needed help with particulars
of planning, and which was exactly the kind of resource I was wishing for
and didn't know how to find before my daughter and I walked in 1998.  Thanks
for asking a clarifying question and I'll look forward to seeing you when
Maria and I read in DC.

Here's a continuation of the note about my wife's and my introdcutory walk
on the camino last month-

After learning from the hospitalero in Jaca that there were more places to
stay than our guidebook (or any of the other pilgrims guidebooks) knew of,
and sharing that happy discovery with the other pilgrims upstairs, Ellen and
I went out to celebrate our 26th anniversary with a special dinner.  It was
still cold and wet enough that what I remember first about the good little
restaurant we found was that it felt very warm and cheerful.  As dinner
progressed we also realized that there were several other pilgrims there.
As we finished and left four Dutch pilgrims introduced themselves and
recommended breakfast at a place called 'Pilgrim Cafe.'  'With an English
name?' I asked.  'It's the same in Dutch,' one replied, 'but yes.'  We
returned, happily exhausted from the day's walk, set our alarm for what felt
to us like an early start, and fell quickly into pilgrim's sleep.  It was
Ellen's first night in a refugio dormitory.  'I think I like hearing all
these people sleeping,' she whispered as we turned in.

Other pilgrims' early departures made the alarm unnecessary, so when got up
after several others it was still ahead of our alarm.  We took the Dutch
pilgrims' recommendation and stopped beside Jaca's medieval fortress at the
good Spanish cafe with the English/Dutch name for a hearty breakfast.
Walking all day to Arres we saw only one other pilgrim along the way.

more follows in the next note. donald