Shoes /refugios/just returned

Diane Grust DEG33aAOL.COM
Fri Jun 1 10:01:48 PDT 2001

I am currently on the camino  and sstarted in Roncesvalles.  It rained heavily at night and the mud was up to my knees (start May 2).  I have what is called a treking shoe and it is below the ankle but with a sturdy sole.  I would not wear sneakers aas they are not strong enough many sections have gravel that I can only describe as sharp.  Also, May 1 there was snow on the high route from St. Jean and when I walked to O Cebreiro record high tempertures with the hottest day so far 38.  So the one thing you can count on in Spain is variable weather.