Terrorism in Spain?

Kevin Collins kevinaCATATONIC.ORG
Tue Jul 31 16:11:23 PDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Watson, John wrote:

> 1. As a US citizen you would be more likely to be targeted in many countries
> of the world, though there has been NO evidence of this regarding ETA.

Correct. However...

> Whatever, carry nothing which would identify you as from the US.

NW Spain is not Colombia or Iraq in regards to hostility or kidnap threat
for Americans. The above suggestion is quite a bit of an over reaction to
a situation that has not even manifested itself with concrete examples for
this region.

> I would
> even go so far as to carry an Australian or Canadian badge.

I hear this frequently from my Canadian friends (I live with one here in
California) who claim they get preferential treatment when travelling
though they have no experience of travelling *without* a maple leaf patch
on thier rucksack. As far as safety's sake is concerned for el Camino,
extra efforts to hide the fact you are an American (if you are of course)
are a bit on the paranoid side if you ask me. I've backpacked all over
Europe on 8 separate occasions and I have *never* been a target of any
sort of abuse from locals based on my nationality. When ETA starts picking
us off the trail in significant numbers, I may revise my way of thinking.

Until then, I intend to have a good time. (Looking to hike from either
Burgos or Leon to the end of the line in late August to Mid September time
frame.)

In other words, don't worry, you are fine right now.

Kevin