reference book

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Tue Jul 24 19:53:20 PDT 2001

"The Pilgrim Road to Santiago," the complete cultural handbook,
including art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saint's lives,
flora, and flora by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, published
2000 by St. Martin's Press, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y.  10010.
This, written by two of the founders of the GOCamino e-mail group, is
probably the most complete English language reference work on the Camino
Francés, including the two eastern routes through Jaca, which some, I
believe, call the Camino Aragonese. At 600 grams, it is more than most
people want to carry, although some do. One pilgrim reported tearing out
pages along the way (and giving them to other pilgrims) to lighten the
load, then buying a new copy after returning home. It is a 440 page
paperbook, well indexed and referenced. It can be ordered on line or
from any major book store.