Just returned

John and Reba MacFarlane Jmac7306aAOL.COM
Sun Jul 15 18:45:04 PDT 2001

As a first time pilgrim, I returned last week after 3 wonderful weeks of
being devoured by the camino.  As many of you know, it is almost an
indescribable experience, but knowing  how I have appreciated others'
post-walk comments, I thought I would share some of mine.
As a Floridian with little hiking experience, much less mountain trekking, I
decided to start my walk at Burgos and head west  thinking it would be less
challenging for a first-timer.  My goal was  Sarria --  230miles.  I was not
prepared for the toll that the deep ruts, boulder-rocks and inclines would
take the first 3 days out of Burgos on what I thought were my conditioned
feet. However, I assimilated this inconvenience as my camino baptism and was
afforded the opportunity of experiencing the graciousness, care and kindness
of several individuals  who assisted me in my foot care including the refugio
director, the medical center personnel,  the refugio nurse, and farmacias
along the way.
I routinely started walking very early each morning covering 12 to 14 miles
per day and  stopping early enough to sign into a refugio before going
sightseeing. I found the refugios clean and accomodating.  Most evenings I
prepared my own evening meal in the refugio kitchen along with many others.
A few times, we had communal meals which were memorable.
The other perigrinos I met along the camino were the real joy of the
adventure.  The spirit of interacting with as many as 9 other nationalities
all experiencing the same challenges of the road and all with the same goal
overcame any language barriers.
The challenge of the  climb to OCebreiro is when I had the most exhilirating
experience of my 71 years---the time, I know many of you have experienced,
when the camino "grabs you".  I still get tearful sharing this and many other
soul touching events of my 3 weeks as a peregrino.  I plan to return in
September with my bride of  51 years, and we will walk Sarria to Santiago
together.  Hopefully, we will see some of you then.

John