walking alone

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Wed Jul 4 10:52:12 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/4/01 11:02:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
rspengeraHOME.COM writes:

> One question. Are you fluent in Spanish, i.e. can you carry on a
> conversation in Spanish beyond the bare necessities of asking directions,

Robert,
Nope.  When I arrived in Spain all I knew was Hola!  But I have a great deal
of French, Italian and Latin which helped tremendously.  I wasn't able to
speak well, but I understood nearly everything.  What was very intriguing to
me was when I was in a group of people from different countries and the
medium language was one where noone was from that country.  Does that make
sense?  But with Manuel speakign a little English, and his wife speaking a
little French, we did quite well.  I am now enrolling in a Spanish class!

I've decided I won't return to Spain until I speak their language.  They were
incredibly accomodating, but I have this thing about not wanting them to
speak my language in their own country.  It looks like my husband and I will
be returning to the camino in  September of 2002.  It can't be soon enough
for me!

Gabrielle