getting to st. Jean

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 14:28:47 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/3/01 4:08:39 PM Central Daylight Time, LgalilaAOL.COM
writes:

> By the way, were you able to take along your cherished walking stick?

Ha!  Actually, no.  I took Elyn's advice and brought along a Leki, which
saved my rear end on numerous occasions! :-)  I think that is the only think
I have the slightest bit of regret for.  On the way up to Cebreiro, I went
through a tiny village in which a man lived who had carved these amazing
staffs.  They were all spiralled up and had little faces perched at the top.
I was going to get one as I wanted to feel wood in my hand as opposed to the
cork handle on the Leki.  But they were rather expensive and extravagent, so
I declined.  However, I came home to my staff and have begun to carve some
things into her which I remember from the journey.  The Leki worked well and
fit nicely along the side of my pack when I didn't want to carry it.  I was
amazed at the rather cheesy staffs, cloaks and hats being sold in Santiago.
I felt like it was a little too Disney Land for my taste.  But if they are
making money, and people are purchasing those things, so be it.

BTW, I'm happy that my little stories are helping!

Gabrielle