travel guides and maps

Michel Besson ometzinaYAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 16 15:15:25 PST 2001

Well, going by Lozano's map can also be a problem. I
remember, when on my first half 4 years ago (4 years
ago??? I want to cry), on the very first day, going by
the Lozano guide, the distances around
Zubiri-Larrasoaña were, to say the least, off. Does
not really matter when it's only a matter of a few
kilometers. It does matter, when you are dead tired
and you keep waiting for the next village to appear,
to no avail!

That being said, I found it way too heavy. 1.5 lb
maybe, but at the end of the day, 1.5 lb does make a
ton of difference, no pun intended. I sent it back
home from Santo Domingo de la Calzada, after having
bought at the refugio there the one I have sworn by
ever since:

Camino Santiago - Andando/Bicicleta
Fernando Imaz et al.
Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del
Camino de Santiago. 1993

The maps are OK, nothing more, but as someone said
before, there are no good detailed maps of the Camino,
excpet probably for military maps, but it has very
good km by km text description of where to put your
feet, which turn to make, where to expect the yellow
arrow, and, in case you wonder how steep it is, a nice
graphic indication of the elevation, stage by stage.

Michel

PS: I have a few ideas of guides with detailed maps.
More about that later...

=====
Michel Besson
ometzinasysnet.net