Water Water everywhere

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Feb 19 18:00:05 PST 2001

HI Imelda,
I'm sixty years old, all too careless about body and health, and a confirmed
non-exerciser.  Nevertheless, I managed to walk the entire Camino last summer
without problems, blisters, or any other ills, by following the advice of
local pharmacists (who, in Spain,  are quasi medical doctors);  they
repeatedly told me to eat at least one banana a day, WITHOUT FAIL  (I forget
the medical reason), and over and over cautioned me not to drink water unless
thirsty.
I had taken one of those fanny-pack water carriers, (with a hose), but I
discarded it after two days or so; it was unnecessary;  now and then I took
along a small bottle of water, but very rarely did I need to drink it all.
I am not a water drinker to begin with, (get my liquids through soup, coffee,
etc) so that may have something to do with it.  But I did hear from other
pilgrims who remarked that they had been carrying, or drinking, water
ill-advisedly and unnecessarily.
Water is all too readily available in the Camino if one needs it anyway.
Perhaps there is some psychological component to the need for it.   I surely
do not understand why so many people walking about in the middle of New York
City (for crying outloud!)  burden themselves, as they do, carrying water
containers and the like when you can get it anywhere for the asking.

Regards,

Rosina