Sleeping pads

Michael F. Clarken mclarkenaAMICAPITAL.COM
Tue Feb 13 07:49:11 PST 2001

Russ, I absolutely say leave the mat at home.  The times when you are
potentially unlikely to get space are in August, and even then hitting only
the most popular refugios, in Galicia, and if you tend to arrive later in
the afternoon each day.

We did the Camino last year around the same time as you plan to and not only
never would have needed a mat but never ran into anyone who was put on the
floor.  In addition, it would be a cumbersome addition, and if you DO need a
mat, someone who doesn't need it that night (sleeping in a bed) is sure to
lend it.
Buen Camino!
Mike

Mike Clarken
San Diego, CA
mclarkenaamicapital.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu]On
Behalf Of Russ Irwin
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 12:57 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Sleeping pads

This question is to those who have already made the pilgrimage. Have you
needed a "sleeping pad" at
all during the trek? I'll be going from May - June, but I've heard that
sometimes the only sleeping
space in a refugio is on the floor.

I ask this especially since I will be taking an extremely light sleeping
bag. It's a Western
Mountainering "Mity-Lite" and weighs in at only 1lb 11oz. It's not a mummy
bag, but semi retangluar.
I tried one out in a store near here and it gives me all the tossing and
turning room I think I'll
need. Also, just in case anyone else is interested in "light" sleeping bags,
there is a website
where you can compare them at:

http://www.backpacking.net/gearbag-matrix.html

Russ Irwin