cycling

Mary Virtue maryvirtueaHOME.COM
Sat Feb 10 12:54:26 PST 2001

bill deutschman wrote:

The book The Way of St James, Le Puy to Santiago by Higginson, the guides

> from the Confraternity and the guide by Lozano have detailed directions and
> maps.  Lozano provides a separate cycle section and his maps clearly show
> the roads and the trail.

The Confraternity cycling guide is also good....details what refugios accepts
bikes, etc.
We took Michelin maps which we found quite good.

> We found the auto drivers to be very courterous and never felt that we were
> in any danger.  We would have trucks slow to 6 or so miles per hour on hills
> when they couldn't pass and wait for a safe opportunity or until we could
> find a spot to get off the road.  Many drivers waved, honked and shouted
> Buen Camino or Bon Courage.  Our only problem was with large trucks in a
> high cross wind.  They moved over and passed us with lots of room but there
> was still a lot of wind buffeting.

This was our experience precisely.  Everyone was very courteous and wished us
well.

As far as taking the bicycle on the plane, we had the local bike store box up
the bikes and we also put in the box our helmets, sleeping bags, and runners.
Our panniers (two rear) were then our hand luggage and were not two heavy.
Once in Santiago, we we directed to a bike store which was across the street
from one of the airport bus stops.  The store boxed up the bikes, including any
extra stuff that we did not want to haul around, and then we picked them up on
our way to the airport.  It worked out well!