Available shelter on trail

Michael F. Clarken mclarkenaAMICAPITAL.COM
Tue Feb 6 10:08:34 PST 2001

Dallas, are you discounting the albergues if you do not camp?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu]On Behalf
Of Robert E. Spenger
  Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 12:43 PM
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Subject: Re: Available shelter on trail

  Dallas Simpson wrote:

     Hello, Hopefully I will be able to make the pilgrimage within the next
year and have somequestions. While on the trail, would I be able to tent
camp, use hostels or what other alternatives?
    It is possible to tent camp. I have seen equestrian pilgrims do that and
have heard of cyclists doing it. I had to do it once, but did not have a
tent. In Spain, there is rarely a need for a hiking pilgrim to bring a tent.
In France, it is a different situation; many hikers bring their tents since
France does not have many pilgrim facilities. Of the four routes in France,
the LePuy route is reported to have the most facilities available. I am
familar only with the Arles route. For the most part, this meant hotels,
chambres d'hôte, and hostals.

     If I go in March/April what kind of weather might I expect?
    Lots of rain - also snow if you start from France.
     My Spanish is poquito; will I miss much because of this?

    Si, but even poquito helps.

     Any response would be appreciated Dallas Simpson