Camino by bike?

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Thu Feb 1 19:35:31 PST 2001

> hi
> for elevations
> see
> a practical guide for pilgrims.. millan bravo lozano page 249 onwards.

mike;

The elevations are correct but he makes the mistake of plotting the
locations along the x-axis at equal intervals when they are not at equal
distances, therefore the slopes shown on the maps are incorrect.  This is a
common error these days when people use spread sheets and then plot the
data.  Look at the first four entries on page 249.  They are separated by
3.183, 3.340, 1.203 and 0.680 km yet are plotted at equal intervals on the
graph.  The slope for the 0.680 segment is not as steep as it really is.

It is a great guide book and was one that we relied on but don't pay any
attention to the slopes on the graphs.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean much to most people but it does matter to an old
physicist and it really disturbs my mathematician wife.   As we were
climbing hills, she delighted in telling me when she decided the second
derivative of the slope was zero because she knew the pedaling would become
easier.

bill
olcbillafireserve.net